Header Ads

  • Breaking News

    Australian Open: Age no issue, says Roger Federer after 20th Grand Slam title

    Roger Federer said "age is not an issue" after he beat Marin Cilic to win his sixth Australian Open and 20th Grand Slam title at the age of 36.

     Roger FedererRoger FedererRoger FedererRoger Federer

    The Swiss second seed won 6-2 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 3-6 6-1 to retain the title he won 12 months ago.
    Ken Rosewall, who won the 1972 Australian Open at 37, is the only man older than Federer to have won a major singles title in the Open era.
    "I've won three slams now in 12 months. I can't believe it myself," he said.
    "I've just got to keep a good schedule, stay hungry, then maybe good things can happen. Then I don't think age is an issue, per se. It's just a number.
    "But I need to be very careful in my planning, really decide beforehand what are my goals, what are my priorities. I think that's what's going to dictate how successful I will be.
    "Exciting times ahead. As a professional, it's what we do. But I'm happy I'm in that position right now."

    No comments

    Post Top Ad

    Post Bottom Ad